Friday, 7 April 2017

Finding Brighton's Forgotten Ghost Signs


Geeky post alert: Personally I’d love nothing more than to time travel down my local high street in its vintage signage heyday and see all the art work and shop signs that have
disappeared today. Sigh. Seeing as that's not possible without a Delorean, I've been making an effort to look out for forgotten ghost signs around Brighton and now have quite a collection of pictures I thought I’d share – if you like that kind of thing and are in a time travelling mood… 


(Above: The Dependent pub circa 1867, turned bookshop, turned private home on Little Preston Street)




Brewin Butchers established 1848, Upper North Street.



Langham Hotel, Western Road.




Grand Parade Garage, Trafalgar Street. 





The Western Hotel, now The Paris House and flats on Western Road.



Pretty Madeira Sun Terrace Cafe, Madeira Drive.





A Parsons & Son Builders & Decorators, Havelock Road.




Abandoned Brighton Hippodrome, Middle Street.




Furniture Showrooms now a shop selling stamps, Prince Albert Street.




This is actually two ghost signs over one! I think the one in black lettering says EJ Johnson Afternoon Teas. Head to 71a London Road.




Dyeing and Cleaning Works, Sydney Street.




The Old Ship Assembly Rooms – a Grade II listed building inside the Old Ship Hotel once used as a ballroom.





The Old Mineral Water Factory turned private residence, Boyces Street. 




SaveSave

7 comments:

  1. What a fantastic post. That is a LOT of observing and I love the term 'ghost signs'. Great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah thanks Babs! I snap as I spot them, some I've walked past so many times without noticing. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a ghost sign, and that double one is amazing! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a bonus find on my way home one day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. I keep seeing others to add... #obsession

      Delete